WordPress powers more websites than any other platform globally.
As a start-up or small business owner, you’ll want to have a professional website that is easy to set up and run without having to pay thousands of pounds.
If you have not heard of WordPress then what you need to know is that WordPress is a content management system (cms) that is open source and free to use. It is very easy to use and extremely flexible.
In this post, we will discuss 5 reasons why you should use it to build your small business website.
1. It’s FREE, easy to install, and setup
The idea of setting up a website can be a daunting thought for many small business owners, however, with WordPress, the task can be achieved in three simple steps.
- Register a domain name for your website (e.g. mywebsite.com) which you can do through your preferred web hosting company. This should cost you a minimum of £8.99 per year – the price will depend on the type of domain you register.
- Next, you will want to purchase some web space. You will need to open a hosting account with a reputable web host. This should not cost you more than £10 a month unless you are expecting your website to receive a high volume of traffic.
- Once you have purchased your domain name and have got yourself some webspace all you need to do is install WordPress. The majority of web hosting companies offer one-click installs, meaning that you can install WordPress with just a few clicks of your mouse.
If you were to go with any web host today, chances are that WordPress is already pre-installed for you. All you have to do is enter your desired login details and voilà you are ready to kick start your WordPress journey. There is nothing technically challenging and no coding is required. Once you set up WordPress, you can then change to a more suitable theme and start adding the content you want.
2. It’s not just for blogs
Being such a popular platform, WordPress has attracted some of the best web developers across the world who have contributed on a massive scale by creating plugins (both free and commercial) which can extend the functionality of your website. Do you need an e-Commerce website? WordPress can do that. Do you need to make hotel bookings for your new B&B business? WordPress can do that too. In fact, WordPress can pretty much do whatever you want it to.
3. Thousands of pre-design themes
The design of your website will play a vital role in helping you attract and connect with your customers. There are hundreds of thousands of free and commercial themes available for WordPress today you will be spoilt for choice. You can also hire a web designer to design you something bespoke if your business can afford it. Most commercial themes cost anything between £30-£100. This means, with WordPress, you can create a truly unique-looking website without having to break the bank.
4. Thousands of plugins
Wait what are plugins exactly? A plugin is a piece of software that gives WordPress extended functionality. For example, if you want to sell products on your website then you can install the Woocommerce plugin. This will then give your website fully-fledged eCommerce functionalities.
5. Very secure
No platform is ever 100% impregnable but WordPress has lots of advantages when it comes to protecting your data and keeping hackers at bay. As the world’s most used website platform, there is an army of developers and security specialists working to make sure all updates are vulnerability-free. When vulnerabilities do occur, they are usually found and dealt with very quickly. For your protection, most WordPress updates take place automatically without you needing to do anything.
If you are looking to launch your business website and want an easy-to-use, affordable solution that provides you with a wide range of options, then WordPress is an ideal choice for you to consider.